Educational Program “Field translation: English, German”
Field of Study
035 Philology, specialization 035.041 Germanic Languages and Literatures (translation including), first – English
Field translation: English, German
Subjects of Centralized Entrance Exam 2020
- Ukrainian Language and Literature
- Foreign Language (English)
- History of Ukraine or Geography
- Full-time: 11100 UAH per semester
- Distance: 7000 UAH per semester
Short Description of the Program
The purpose of the program is to provide education in the field of philology, aimed at students mastering the skills of written and oral communication and providing information in various spheres of economics, science, technology, education, culture by means of translating or interpreting different texts from foreign languages, in particular English and German, into the state language and vice versa.
Training Bachelors of philology by the program is carried out at a high level, which will provide them with the right and opportunity to continue their studies in order to obtain the second (Master's) level of higher education.
A high level of practical training is manifested through teaching disciplines by highly qualified lecturers and researchers; developed international cooperation in scientific and educational areas; involving native speakers, in particular, of English and German, into the educational process; availability of specialized classrooms, computer laboratories and simultaneous translation system.
- Field orientation of the program, which is a response to global challenges and requirements in the sphere of translators’ training, as well as the urge of the region for the oil and gas industry development, construction industry and IT-technologies. This is what distinguishes National University “Yuri Kondratiuk Poltava Polytechnic” in providing the educational service suggested from other institutions of higher education of the region, which also provide training for philologists-translators;
- Powerful educational and material base, which is implemented through using in the process of learning foreign languages and translation the latest teaching methods and techniques, specialized classrooms, computer laboratories and simultaneous translation system;
- High national and international academic mobility, which is ensured by active cooperation with leading foreign higher education establishments as well as those of Ukraine, influential international organizations, powerful industrial enterprises;
- Opportunity to join in the practical translation activities from the first years of study, to practice the skills of oral two-sided translation on high-tech equipment of the simultaneous translation laboratory; to learn a second foreign language (German) from the first term of the first year of studies; to choose a third foreign language;
- Teaching staff of the program is represented by highly qualified academic researchers and teachers, who, by qualification, stay in compliance with the profile and the direction of the disciplines taught, have the required experience of pedagogical work and practical activity;
- Involvement of native speakers in teaching foreign languages (English and German language teaching assistants, in particular from the US Peace Corps, the German Goethe Institute, etc.), professionals with experience in research / management / innovation spheres and field work.
Possibilities for studying and training abroad
Key possibilities: the EU's academic mobility program Erasmus+, program for research in the US Fulbright Research and Development Program, international student exchange program The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD), National Academic Exchange Agency NAWA (Poland), program for Government grants of the People's Republic of China for Ukrainians.
The list of grant and scholarship programs, academic exchange programs is constantly updated.
Possibility to undergo internship (translation) at powerful industry enterprises.
Main disciplines of professional training
Introduction to the Course (translation studies); Practice of Oral and Written Speech (English); Practice of Oral and Written Speech (German); Practical Grammar (English); Practice of Interpretation and Translation (English); Practice of Interpretation and Translation (German); Problems of Scientific and Technical translation; Translation Theory; Information Systems and Technologies in Translation; Basics of Guide-Translators’ Training; Oral and Written Two-Way Translation of Various Genres Texts; Methods of Teaching a Foreign Language for Translators; Contrastive Linguistics (Grammar, Lexicology, Stylistics); History of Foreign Literature; Linguocultural Studies (English); Grammar Peculiarities of Translation (German); Third Foreign Language; Production Training; Professional Training.
Positions that graduates can hold
- Specialist translator in public and private institutions;
- Translator of scientific and technical literature, translator of business literature;
British Council in Ukraine (Great Britain), Peace Corps (USA), Goethe Institute (Germany), Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities (Poland), National Academic Exchange Agency NAWA (Poland), Research and Technical Enterprise “Burova Technika” (Kyiv, Poltava), centre of foreign languages “Status” (Poltava).
Phone: (066) 427 99 10
For further information contact the Admissions Office:
Or in messengers: